Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Simplify

Whole30 isn't easy.  Even I'll admit that.  There is just SO. MUCH.  PREP!!!  So much!

Here are some suggestions for simplifying your Whole30 that I've come up with over the past 2+ Whole30s I've done.

Meal plan.  It goes without saying.  I tried so hard at the beginning of this Whole30 to map out dinners for the week.  Sadly, it's fallen a little by the wayside (Sunday night's planned dinner of chicken, sweet potato, and sauteed spinach became halibut with spinach/tomato/olive sauce and half of a sweet potato instead), but it's still good to have a plan, even if life throws you a curve ball and you can't stick to it 100%.

The oven is on.  So when you're baking a sweet potato or potato for dinner, throw in a few extra.  They're a cinch to rewarm and it takes a fraction of the time.  Sweet potato hash for breakfast tomorrow?  No prob!  Same thing goes for bacon or crispy prosciutto.  The recipe calls for 3 slices?  Make a whole bunch.  They'll go great with your eggs and sweet potato hash tomorrow morning!

Hard boiled eggs are super easy to make in bulk, too.  The waters boiling, so why not add a few extra eggs to the pot?  It doesn't even increase the cooking time to add more.  I tend to boil eggs for 3 days at a time.  While they're perfectly fine for a few more days, I prefer mine semi-fresh.

Cut veggies galore.  I should actually do this more often than I do.  I tend to have a nightly ritual of washing and cutting veggies for the next day (except last night.  I passed out after work.  Luckily I got to work today and there were baby carrots and pre-washed celery stalks in the fridge?!).  It's really a smart way to go if you prep your veggies for the week (or half the week) at a time.  It definitely cuts down on nightly prep.

Lastly, if you're a fan of cauliflower rice, buy it premade.  I love my food processor but I am not taking that bad boy out of the bottom cabinet just to turn a head of cauliflower into "rice."  I buy the bagged fresh stuff, but I know Trader Joe's also caries a frozen variety (my friend told me she's found it in the regular grocery store freezer aisle, but I'm not sure if it's Whole30 approved or not).

There you have it.  Some Whole30 hacks I've come up with to simplify my Whole30 life!

No comments:

Post a Comment