Monday, September 24, 2018

Key lime larabar (balls)

Larabars are one of my emergency snack staples.  I eat them rarely, but I always feel better knowing there's one in my purse/work bag/gym bag in case I'm hungry and can't get anything Whole30 at the time.  So a while ago I had seen a recipe for Cherry Pie Larabars, and I bought the ingredients.  Which just sat there and then were eaten individually.  Then, a friend recommended homemade (key) lime Larabars.  And I randomly had all the ingredients on hand at that exact moment, and went off to make them.  I ended up making them in balls instead of bars because I thought they’d be more likely to hold their shape that way.


These are easy and delicious!  So delicious, in fact, that when we had our Whole30 info session for our October group Whole30, I made them again!  This time around, I made them even smaller.  They were so well received and everyone wanted the recipe!


Homemade Lime Lara-balls
Recipe from The Real Food RDs

Ingredients:

10 Medjool dates, pitted (or 20 pitted Deglet dates)
3/4 cup raw whole almonds
3/4 cup raw cashews
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
Zest of 2 limes, plus more for sprinkling on top if you choose
Juice of 1 lime
Pinch of sea salt (I always forget this when I make them!)

Directions:

Place all ingredients into the bowl of a food processor.

Process the mixture until it is crumbly yet still holds together well when pinched between your fingers.
If the mixture is too dry, add another date or a splash of water, and process again.
If the mixture is too wet, add a few more nuts and process again until crumbly.

Press mixture onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and form a 9x9 inch square -- OR -- roll them into balls (I use a scoop); the number will vary depending on how big you make them.
If you choose, sprinkle some lime zest on the bars or balls.
Place in the fridge to chill, if they seem sticky.

If making bars, cut the block into 12 bars.
Wrap in parchment paper and store in a covered container in the fridge for up to 1 week.

No comments:

Post a Comment